Sunday, April 09, 2006

Work Dodgeball Tourney

Yeah, that's right, a dodgeball tournament. Somehow I got strong-armed into signing up to play dodgeball for my company's team. It turns out it's quite a complicated game.

Now, as anyone who's seen the movie dodgeball knows, there's 5 things you have to remember when playing dodgeball: Dodge, dip, duck, dive, dodge. In addition to these strategies, there are rules. Once you grab the balls at the start of the game, you have to "check" them behind a mid-court line. You also cannot hold a ball for more than 10 seconds or throw the ball at someone's head.

The balls we used were basketball-sized nerf balls. They were ridiculously hard to throw. They either went no where (if you aimed low) or flew off into space. Now I, someone who throws like a girl, simply practiced the act of dodging. That worked out OK...but once, I was 1 of 2 players left on the field; not a good thing. I can't throw, I can barely catch. I totally got knocked out...but it's OK, we had team unity.

That whole 10 second rule was rarely enforced...but it was a great psychological tool. Someone on my team would mention the opposing team members had been holding the balls for more than 10 seconds, so me, being the loudmouth I am, felt the need to shout "10....9....8....7..." and every time they just started frantically throwing without aiming. That and catching a ricocheting ball were my only real contributions to them team.

All in all, it was a fun afternoon. And in addition to tumbling in the grass (a beautiful round-off followed by two back handsprings), playing with a fabulous Weimaraner named Cally (who belonged to a complete stranger), and the great weather, one of my teammates and I enjoyed the beautiful eye-candy walking around the field on the opposing teams. Mr. Blue Shorts Guy...your body is ab-tastic...Steve the Pirate is so jealous.

1 Comments:

Blogger A. Diabetic Person said...

Thank you for mentioning Steve the Pirate in this post. It makes my heart happy.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home